D.Ed Special Education - Mental Retardation
A 2 year course conducted by the FAME Academy and recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India (http://www.rehabcouncil.nic.in)
Course commencement : July 2017
Location : FAME Academy, Bangalore, India
Course fee : INR 80,000
Course completion details :
Diploma in Special Education - Mental Retardation to be awarded by the Rehabilitation Council of India
Last date for applications : June 20, 2017
Phone: +91 97416 87451/+91 80 46450900
Mental retardation is prevalent in both urban and rural areas. It is of late that we as a country have started focusing on training teachers, special educators, parents and other stakeholders to work with children and young adults with mental retardation.
Children and young adults with mental retardation require assistance and teaching which is different from others. This course is designed to equip learners with the knowledge, techniques and skills necessary to impart special education to children and young adults with mental retardation.
Who can enroll for this course
- Fresh graduates who are interested in education or special education as a career option
- Psychology graduates who want to increase their skills in this area
- Counsellors who regularly deal with children with special needs
- Social workers working in the field of Medical Social Work
- Parents, family members and caregivers of children and young adults with mental retardation
Benefits to schools
Special schools and integrated/inclusive schools will benefit significantly by ensuring they have well trained teachers and staff equipped to deal with children with mental retardation. It will also open up opportunities for mainstream schools to integrate children with disabilities.
By giving teachers and staff the opportunity to build their skills in this area, schools will be able to develop expertise in working with children with disabilities thereby giving them opportunities to grow into a Centre of Excellence as well as effortlessly fulfill statutory requirements for inclusion of special needs children in mainstream schools.
Benefits to individuals
India is facing a significant shortage of teachers and professionals skilled in special education. Add to this the increased focus of the government to make more schools integrated and inclusive means that never before has there been a more opportune time to specialize in teaching children with special needs.
Also, it is increasingly acknowledged that managing children with special needs also requires skills, techniques and knowledge in addition to love and care. Parents and caregivers of children and young adults with mental retardation will also find immense value in augmenting their knowledge and skills in this particular area.
Why FAME Academy
There are many reasons which make FAME Academy the most optimal choice for anyone interested in specializing in this field:
- FAME is a Centre of Excellence for educating, training and empowering all stakeholders in the area of special needs.
- FAME has always focused on the life span approach to educating and rehabilitating children with special needs. Over the last 15 years we have judiciously adopted this approach developing skills and experience in teaching, vocational training, respite care and outreach programs for children and young adults with special needs.
- We have focused on incorporating our Best Practices into the curriculum.
- The FAME faculty are all experienced practitioners who ensure that the course has the right blend of pedagogy and practice.
- We believe in doing and learning. This is why we place a lot of emphasis on “hands on learning”. The situations that are taught and demonstrated are relevant to the actual necessities that we experience in the field.
- At FAME we are highly skill centric - and this focus percolates into our teaching methodology.
Expected remuneration post course completion: Upto INR 35000
Past enrollments: 20
Past placements: Special schools, integrated/inclusive schools, Rehabilitation Centres
The FAME Academy will provide a referral letter to candidates who have completed the course subject to their meeting FAME’s performance criteria
Eligibility : Anyone who has passed Class 12 or its equivalent examination with minimum 50% marks
Preference will be given to candidates with good communication
Medium of instruction : English/ Kannada
Scholarships : Can be availed if persons applying meet eligibility criteria
Installment facility : Course fee can be paid over 2 installments
Hostel facilities : Can be availed based on availability