Certificate Programme in Special Education
A 1 year course conducted by the FAME Academy
Course commencement : July 2017
Classes will be conducted ONLY on Saturdays
Location : FAME Academy, Bangalore, India
Course fee : INR 40,000
Course completion details :
Certificate programme in special education will be awarded by FAME Academy
Phone: +91 9008588144/+91 80 46450900
With special needs, early detection and intervention is critical. Early childhood education has therefore become an important focus area. Proper intervention at the right time will help with rehabilitation and ease management of young children with special needs.
This course focuses on different ways of teaching children with special needs below the age of 6 in different settings like pre schools, schools, special schools, rehabilitation centers and Anganwadis. It will also look at how professionals specialized in special education for young children can work with other stakeholders to assist in teaching and managing these children.
Who can enroll for this course
- Teachers working in montessori schools, playhomes, creches, mainstream schools, integrated/inclusive schools, special schools
- Fresh graduates who are interested in education or special education as a career option
- Psychology graduates who want to increase their skills in this area
- Counselors who regularly deal with young children with special needs
- Social workers working in the field of Medical Social Work
- Anganwadi workers
- Parents, family members and caregivers of young children with special needs
Benefits to schools
Special schools, integrated/inclusive schools, playschools, montesorri schools, creches and Anganwadis will benefit significantly by ensuring they have well trained teachers and staff equipped to deal with young children with special needs. It will also open up opportunities for mainstream schools to integrate children with disabilities. In addition, schools will also develop expertise in teaching neuro typical children.
By giving teachers and staff the opportunity to build their skills in this area, schools will be able to develop expertise in working with children with disabilities thereby giving them opportunities to grow into a Centre of Excellence as well as effortlessly fulfill statutory requirements for inclusion of special needs children in mainstream schools.
Benefits to individuals
India is facing a significant shortage of teachers and professionals skilled in special education. Add to this the increased focus of the government to make more schools integrated and inclusive means that never before has there been a more opportune time to specialize in teaching children with special needs.
Also, it is increasingly acknowledged that managing children with special needs also requires skills, techniques and knowledge in addition to love and care. Parents and caregivers of children and young adults with mental retardation will also find immense value in augmenting their knowledge and skills in this particular area.
Why FAME Academy
There are many reasons which make FAME Academy the most optimal choice for anyone interested in specializing in this field:
- FAME is a Centre of Excellence for educating, training and empowering all stakeholders in the area of special needs.
- FAME has always focused on the life span approach to educating and rehabilitating children with special needs. Over the last 15 years we have judiciously adopted this approach developing skills and experience in teaching, vocational training, respite care and outreach programs for children and young adults with special needs.
- We have focused on incorporating our Best Practices into the curriculum.
- The FAME faculty are all experienced practitioners who ensure that the course has the right blend of pedagogy and practice.
- We believe in doing and learning. This is why we place a lot of emphasis on “hands on learning”. The situations that are taught and demonstrated are relevant to the actual necessities that we experience in the field.
- At FAME we are highly skill centric - and this focus percolates into our teaching methodology.
Past enrollments: 20
Past placements: Special schools, integrated/inclusive schools, Rehabilitation Centres
The FAME Academy will provide a referral letter to candidates who have completed the course subject to their meeting FAME’s performance criteria
Eligibility : Anyone who has passed Class 12 or its equivalent examination with minimum 50% marks
Medium of instruction : English/ Kannada
Scholarships : Can be availed if persons applying meet eligibility criteria
Hostel facilities : Can be availed based on availability